Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Hunky Dory Hexies and a Stalled Quilt


I refilled my little hexie kit with a bit of Hunky Dory. What a beautiful color combination! I'm not certain what I'll make with them yet. Contemplating a small tablecloth but I can picture using these in a quilt block or runner. 
 So far, I've stitched these in a McDonald's Playland, during a library storytime, at a friends house, and on the road to Kansas City to visit a dinosaur exhibit at Union Station. I'm loving having them on hand for a few quick stitches when I can.
Earlier this year, I was anticipating the appearance of Blush by Basic Grey. I fell in love with the prints when they were printed as scrapbook paper. I knew I would make something for myself with this line. I decided on using charm packs so that I could have all of the prints and planned on using this pattern with a little modification.


I got started on cutting and sewing a few pieces towards the end of my retreat in March. After I returned home I started worrying about all of the red I was including. I don't usually prewash but I got nervous about bleeding. I wasn't sure about all of those charm pieces either. I was worried they would just shred in the washing machine. So I put it in my closet and stayed there until today. 


My next retreat is coming up and I want to use this quilt as a leader/ender quilt. Time to make a decision and take action! I prewashed the yardage in the washing machine and hand washed the charms, both with Retayne.  It's all now drying on a guest bed. Lots of ironing is in my future before I can start cutting!



*ETA: I received a lovely email from Dorothy in Oz and she said she has washed Blush before and it didn't bleed and that none of her Moda reds have ever bled. Good to know! Thank you!

2 comments:

lissa said...

Love your Hexs and fabric choices.

-modalissa

Unknown said...

saw your reply on the BYW forum. Yeah another quilter.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails