Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Little Houses


I made these little houses for Tia's quilt along. I started them Friday night at my retreat and finished them up by lunch time on Saturday. When I made the last one, I swore I'd never make another! But now I'm looking at them again and they are kind of cute. I think my frustration stemmed from knowing I brought so much I wanted to work on and these were taking me much longer than I anticipated. Tia said she whipped her's out in 45 minutes!


There was definitely a learning curve with estimating how much a seam allowance would shrink the size and remembering not to put the roof on before I sewed on the air around the walls of the house. The doors, windows and a chimney are raw edge applique.



I think I might try ONE of these again for a small project when I can focus on lots of cuteness and when I feel like I have a little extra time to spend.


I cut the pieces with scissors, very free form, estimating sizes I'd need.


I tried a mushroom shape but the curved piecing wasn't working out, even though I pinned it like crazy!
This one might be my favorite. Any idea what tall item is beside the house? I'm still trying to figure it out!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The quilt is going to be gorgeous. Popped over from BYW. I love fabric and have caught the quilting bug.

ilovebabyquilts said...

That's a palm tree next to the house, like the ones you see in Beverly Hills! I like your little houses!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails