Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Fun Quilt Along

Tia from Camp Follower Bags & Quilts is hosting a Free Piecing Quilt Along and I thought it would be fun to try my hand at some wonkiness again. I had two goals as I started this Quilt Along. I wanted to play a bit with my new sewing machine because I've been doing a lot of handwork lately. I've been anxious to get some fabric in it!  I also wanted to play a bit with color choices.

I usually choose fabrics from one line in my projects and when I mix things up I tend to get matchy-matchy. I end up with too little contrast. I dug into my little stash and discovered the only solid I had was white! But I dug a little more and found a few fabrics that I thought might read as close to solid. In the end I found some prints and tone-on-tones that I thought might achieve some contrast.


The blocks are 6 x 6 and pretty quick and easy to put together.

This itty bitty anvil block is an example of some hand piecing I did on my trip that doesn't have enough contrast to it. The greens are blending together.

It's fun to start experimenting. I feel like am learning so much! The more I do though, the more I find I want to tweak and learn.

So go check out Tia's blog! She is just the nicest gal and makes the coolest bags and quilts for her military friends from uniforms and quilting fabric! I met her at the Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild but she just moved to TX so I'm keeping up with her on her blog.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails